Wednesday 18 February 2015

Beerakaya Pachchadi / Ridge Gourd chutney

Hey all….This time I am going to post a chutney recipe which you can enjoy with Dosa / Idly / Steamed hot rice…Yes, you already read the title, it is 'Beerakaya Pachadi' / 'Luffa' or Ridge gourd chutney.

Before, I go ahead with the recipe..let me share few good things about this vegetable. I don't think that I was the only alien..who used to have a great aversion for this vegetable as a child. I never enjoyed any recipe with ridge gourd as a child & my mom used to say a lot..that this is one of the great vegetables which is a great source of dietary fiber & vital elements like zinc, vitamin C & minerals.

I realized, lately that I should include this on my menu at least once a week to get the goodness of this vegetable..& I am keeping that word up..so far :-) ! Bingo…so..develop interest towards this vegetable & make your family members too, to enjoy this veggie…

Ok..lets Quickly get into our recipe part now,

Beerakaya Pachadi


Ingredients :

Luffa / Ridge Gourd / Beerakaya / Heerekayi - 1 Long ..peeled and diced into medium pieces
Green Chilli - 5 to 6 (as per your preference)
Grated coconut - 2 tbl spoons / few flakes ( you can use fresh coconut or dried)
whole Jeera / cumin seeds - 1/2 tea spoon
Curry Leaves - 2
Garlic clove - 1
Coriander leaves - 1/2 cup
Tamarind - 1 chickpea sized
Salt - As per taste
Oil - 2 tea spoons

Method :

Step 1:



In a small pan add 1 tea spoon of oil and sauté the ridge gourd pieces, don't need to add water. Just cover the pan with lid and let the pieces be cooked. usually it takes 5 minutes. Don't over cook.

Step 2 :

Once, you see the gourd pieces are cooked take them out of pan and keep them aside. In the same pan add 1 tea spoon of oil and fry green chilli. You can feel the aroma of green chili…when they fried enough. Turn off the heat, now add the jeera, curry leaves & tamarind to the sam span and just sauté them ( the heat of the pan is enough to slightly roast them).

Step 3:



Grind, Ridge gourd pieces, green chilli, garlic clove, curry leaves, jeera, coriander leaves, coconut and salt. Don't make it too fine paste. Let it be little coarser. And that is it all..now the chutney is ready.

I must say, this chutney tastes heaven if it is done with fresh coconut but this time I ran out of fresh coconut, so I used dry coconut flakes.

We had, Beerakaya Thlimpu & Rasam with white rice followed by Rice payasam !





No comments:

Post a Comment